maandag 8 juni 2015

You win some, you lose some.

It finally looked like things were on the up.

Earlier this week I traded a old kit of mine in exchange for a old Revell HO scale Dutch farm that goes for ridiculous money on Ebay.de.
This will go nicely on a Dutch table (future plans)

Then, today at Figz, was gifted (or was paid for by friends) the following kits:
A partially built 1/48 Naboo Fighter (that cost him 2 euros) glass is missing. sizewise the cockpit is more 20mm, and with a different glass and R2 stripped out and replaced with a turret, it becomes a nice addition for my future Sci-Fi table.

Also:
Maybe it is complete, maybe not. Desert airfield perhaps?

Also:
One minute you have none, and then you have 3! Got this one from a friend who knows I like the battle for Mogadishu (aka Black Hawk Down), but I have a Special Forces one and the correct one already in a trade (haven't arrived yet). The least good looking will become the crashed one, even if it is not the correct model (most likely this one)

I brought my toolbox so was happily converting stuff and making new things.

But.....when I got home and wanted to turn on the PC to show all this, all I got was the loud spinning of the GPU fan and not much else. Contacted a FB help group and found a local who was willing to go oever it, even at this late hour, on a sunday. Verdict?

CPU overheated and fried itself (cooling paste was rock solid, fan was completely clogged with dust) and dragging my poor Motherboard with it. Since I can't live without my PC (yes, I'm addicted, thank you) I bought a second hand one off the shelf (bye bye money) for a few hundred and I'm updating it right now (luckily it came with a legal Windows 7 like I had, sadly it is missing the Office package that is still stored on my old harddisk (that survived).

Anyone know how to switch that to the new Windows? I have no idea where my original CD's are :(

Ack, when it rains., it pours......





12 opmerkingen:

  1. Can't you just switch the harddrives? Or are they not compatible?
    Nice kits you have there, especially the farm looks fun to put together and probably paint.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. He said just swapping them would not work as that windows was configured for a completely different system. The farm is nice but the roof is bit bare.

      Verwijderen
  2. Open Office is not bad as a microsoft office replacement. I think the spell check might be non existent, and the formatting changes slightly between the two if you are doing columns and clever things like that.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. As Dave has suggested, Open Office. It isn´t as Flash as Windows, the formatting can be a pain, but it does the Job fine...and it´s free. The Revell HO scale Dutch farm is a new one on me...I´ve never seen it before.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I have this feeling the farm kit is older then me......

      Verwijderen
  4. A got a lot of sympathy for you. Ironically I had *just* bought a copy of EaseUS backup and restore tools BUT (typically) hadn't got round to installing them when my hard drive failed last week!

    Likewise, with everyone else - I use Open Office. Good luck!

    Anyway - Everyone seems to be doing something STar Wars at the moment! LOL - But my eye was caught by the Alcoine, I love the look of Italian tri-motors!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I'm really happy my HDD's didn't fry with it! Luckily, I already did weekly backups, just need to reconfigure that to the new pc tonight and wipe the old backup.

      Star wars and Fallout :) I have no real idea what to do with the Alcoine other then build it for a desert airfield and being a target.

      Verwijderen
  5. Ooh, ouch!

    Still, those lovely aircraft should more than make up for it, right?

    Right?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Right as in spending almost 400 for a new second hand PC and the free kits being there to dull the pain? Sounds pretty right to me :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Sorry to hear about your computer mate, I'm rubbish with them so I'd listen to everyone else's advice! Haha!

    Those kits look great! Working on a Dutch table for Early or Late war?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Neither really, saw it offered up for trade and could not resist it. It is for a later date, though Late War will be most likely then :)

      Verwijderen