woensdag 22 juli 2015

Cavalier Mustang or Piper Enforcer? A choice is made.

For the (future) Dictatorial AK-47 army I want to build a P-51 COIN aircraft. I can choose between the Cavalier Mustang or the Piper Enforcer (both more or less rebuilt P-51 Mustangs)

A stock standard P-51D or later will do (though typically, the one I have has no fin fillet), I have several donor kits in stock, it is a nice kit to get back into modelling again.

Cavalier Mustang

Add 6 hardpoints and various weaponry, add wingtiptanks and paint a snazzy camo and you are good to go. Actually combat used. Need to find a donorkit for the hardpoints but eyeing a cheap A-37 Dragonfly for that.

Piper Enforcer

Add 8-10 hardpoints and various weaponry, add wingtiptanks and paint a snazzy camo, remove the engine exhausts, remove the belly intake and add a jet engine exhaust on the port side. Only 2 made. Need to find a donorkit for the hardpoints but eyeing a cheap A-37 Dragonfly for that.

The Cavalier is a lot earlier, a lot less work and I think ties in better with the whole AK-47 idea. I'll just ignore the lack of a fin fillet :) <grumble>

My donor will be the Academy P-51D as the rest of the P-51's I found turned out to be B's with Malcolm hoods (3pcs? Really? When did I think that was a good idea?). On a more positive note It was good to rummage in my kit stash, removed a pile of them and put them up online for sale. And it turns out I really don't want to buy any Corsairs (new or old) as I have 2 of both :). I even found a Beech Expeditor that will come in great for the Afrika table or for Pulp even, together with a obscure single engine Japanese 30's transport. Also very pulp.

Now where did I leave that bag of flight stand plugs?



1 opmerking:

  1. Just the name of the Mustang Cavalier made up my mind it sounds so much more well Cavalier ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen