dinsdag 12 januari 2016

Wasteland ruin - WIP test 1

Remember this?
Well, 5 sheets of A4 foamboard and about 7 hours of planning, cutting and glueing later I have this:
1 evening and 1 afternoons worth of time, 4,5 sheets of A4 foamboard, about 50 toothpicks and a handfull of coffee stirrers, and a small strip of blue foam with plenty of woodglue and some scrap cereal box. I know sort of know what can be done and can't be done, what to look at when planning something big like this and how I have to make the open areas, though the right side first floor is harder to reach then I had planned, I'll find a way to paint it.

Next step is to use thinned down wall filler and cover all of the exposed foam, cut out 3 cardboard doors to stick in the openings, fill the corners with bigger stones and debris, give everything another coating with thinned down wall filler and sand/rubble the base.

After reviewing several of the Terrain Tutors videos on building foamboard ruins (an ongoing tutorial project): Foamboard buildings
I went for something big straight away to see how I would handle that many cuts and if the template I made actually worked. I'm pleased to say that it did. I had a base idea but most I just made up as I went along. Maybe it shows. I did undersestimate the amount of work all this cutting and glueing is for just one object. Granted, 4 of these tied together would make great centerpieces with some smaller, lower ones surrounding them, and in theory, if I keep off the net, building 1 of these in a week should be doable, and painting it in the weekend. Since I have my template, I can make sure all of the follow on pieces will fit with this one.

I'm completely ignoring Frostgrave atm though, and I have a ton of stuff to paint for that as well! Oops!

10 opmerkingen:

  1. Wow! That is an impressive structure, well done!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. That is spectacular! looking forward to seeing more work on it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Very nice- the stair case leading nowhere isa nice touch.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thx Pete, quite the work to get it that far, it fought me every part of the way.

      Verwijderen
  4. Very interesting. I'm playing Fallout 4 (rater obsessively) at the moment and I have never considered that this might be a game you could play as a table-top game. So, this is facinating.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Well, the setting is highly immersive, so lends to tabletop quite well. It is just a matter of getting enough scenery for it. Since I can't play Fallout 4 (no good PC and old Xbox) this is the closest I can get to having in-game fun atm.

      Verwijderen
  5. Nice work - a very imposing centrepiece for the table.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. What a great terrain piece, it could work well for modern warscenes too.
    You sure build fast and the end result is amazing every time, well done!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen