dinsdag 2 februari 2016

Crackle medium: lesson learned

I learned a good lesson.

A while back I was very impressed with the GW paint that creates cracked earth (Agrellan Earth). As usual, I was not so impressed with the costs of GW paint, so I looked for alternatives. I picked up this:
Bigger pot for the same price.

Since I'm working on a comission I thought it would be a nice time to create dried desert earth with it. So I whip up a tester base, mix it with brown paint and apply it very thickly.

Wrong.

Took over a day to dry and didn't crackle at all. Kim then told me that they used the stuff in art class and I had to apply a thin coat, and paint over that. So I did that, and got something like this:
...which is not at all what I want. A thicker layer of paint was no better. I knew there was a reason why I did not see anyone using this stuff as a replacement.

So, on my shopping list: Agrellan Earth


4 opmerkingen:

  1. Interesting...I wonder if it would work for a cracked frozen pond or fountain for Frostgrave? Perhaps painted white and given some sort of bluish wash?
    Saw this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHWo8RG1NuY
    this looked useful too:
    http://www.wargamingtradecraft.com/2014/12/crackle-medium-and-hordebloods-troll.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/2nyfqd/using_crackle_medium_to_add_texture_to_bases_and/

    Might be something useful there?

    Cheers,
    John.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi John, very useful, but in one of the reports they mention that for small applications the GW product is arguably the best....so :)

      Verwijderen
  2. Could be useful for old painted walls where the paint has cracked?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Maybe, but I tend to paint most weathering by hand or sponge as it lets you control the effect. With this, you never know what it will look like.

      Verwijderen